The Provincial ADP funded project "Promotion of High Value Agriculture through Solarization of Drip & Sprinkler Irrigation Systems" envisages Provision of solar systems to the farmers for operating drip & sprinkler irrigation systems on 20,000 acres
The key objective of the project is to maximize the productivity of precious crop production inputs (water, fertilizer, energy etc.) besides enhancement in crop yields. The undertaking will have following key objectives.
- Reduce the operational cost of high efficiency irrigation system
- Enhance crop and water productivity through optimal use of water and non‑water inputs by application of modern climate smart technologies.
- Promote use of solar energy in agriculture for promoting irrigated agriculture in remote areas.
- Build farmers' capability at grassroots level for growing high value crops to get higher farm returns for alleviating poverty.
- Create job opportunities in rural areas through introduction of climate smart technologies for high value irrigated agriculture.
The project objectives are consistent with overall objectives of the agriculture sector for increasing farm productivity, ensuring food security, reducing cultivation costs, enhancing farm returns, economic uplift of small farmers, and improving agricultural economy of the country as a whole
The technologies under the proposed project will result in productivity enhancement, efficient resource management, crop diversification, better quality produce and promotion of environment friendly free energy source. Major activities to be carried out under the proposed project would include, inter alia, the followings.
Provision of solar systems to the farmers for operating drip & sprinkler irrigation systems on 20,000 acres.
The project will be implemented in the entire Punjab focusing on water scarce areas including Potohar, Thal, Cholistan and Brackish groundwater areas
Three (3) years (2019-20 to -2021-22)
Physical and Financial Implications (Rs. million)